What information do I need to do an application?

Regardless of the building, SKPM requires the following information with all applications:

  • A copy of photo ID
  • Proof of income which can include one of the following:  an employment letter that indicates annual salary or at least 3 recent pay stubs or the summary page from your most recent tax return indicating your taxable income for the year.  New arrivals to Canada should provide a copy of their Landed Immigrant documentation and a letter on Canadian bank letterhead and signed by an officer of that bank indicating the total amount of Canadian funds on deposit.
  • A certified cheque or money order equal to the total amount of first and last month's rent payable for the rental.

How quickly will my application be processed?

If you've provided all of the required documentation, we can usually process an application within 24-48 hours.

Why do I need apartment insurance?

While the Landlord's insurance covers the actual building in which your apartment is located, their policy does not extend to the contents of your apartment.  It is therefore the responsibility of all tenants to ensure that they obtain adequate coverage for the contents of their apartment.  A certificate of insurance is required before we can give you the keys to your new apartment.

When is my rent due?

Rent is due and payable on the 1st day of every month.  Even if you moved into your apartment on the 7th, 10th or 15th day of the month, you'll note that your lease actually starts on the 1st day of a particular month so your rent will always be payable on the first day of the month.

How do I get repairs completed in my apartment?

In order for site staff to complete work in your apartment, you must provide them with written information regarding the nature of the problem and authorization (your signature) allowing them to enter your apartment to complete repairs. SKPM properties have Maintenance Request forms that can be completed and submitted for this purpose.  Please talk to staff in your building to obtain further details about the process for your property.  In some cases, you can also complete a maintenance request using the Resident Portal on the Sterling Karamar website.

How much notice do I have to give when moving out?

Residents that are on a current one year lease must give the Landlord written notice 60-days prior to terminating their tenancy at the end of the first year if they wish to vacate at that time.  For example, if your lease started on January 1, 2016, you would have to provide the Landlord with written notice no later than November 1, 2016 if you plan to end you tenancy effective as of December 31, 2016.  After your first full one year lease, residents can choose to rent on a month-to- month basis.  Residents on month-to-month tenancies must still give 60 days notice from the last day of any given month to terminate their tenancy but they may do so at the end of any given month.  For example, if you're on a month to month tenancy you may given notice at the end of March to vacate at the end of May.

You can obtain a copy of Form N9:  Tenant's Notice to End the Tenancy on the Ontario Social Justice Tribunals website at http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/forms.  Alternatively you can prepare your own letter as long as you ensure that the letter is dated, has your full name, building address and suite number and states the date your tenancy will end.  Whether you use an N9 form or a personal letter, this notice must delivered to the Landlord either in hardcopy or by e-mail within the appropriate 60-day timeframe.